"MSc Financial Management is your unrivalled exposure to emerging and powerhouse economies across the Asia Pacific."
- Flexible Learning
Study while you work. No exams, 100% coursework & assignment based.
Studying a flexible course means you can learn while you continue to work, directly applying the skills and knowledge you learn immediately to solve your day-to-day business challenges in finance.
- Engaging Workshops
Held at leading financial hubs - Singapore & Hong Kong
Meet and network with industry peers and global experts during workshops, held over six days, twice each year at our prestigious Singapore and Hong Kong locations.
- Holistic and Well-rounded Curriculum
Enhancing your career opportunities in the world of finance
The programme's well-balanced combination of online learning excellence and face-to-face conferences with industry leaders allows you to experience finance in action. This, coupled with company visits, study trips, networking events, and career training/workshops, will equip you with the means to flourish in the finance industry upon graduation.
- Globally Recognised
Our Accounting & Finance studies is ranked Top 25 in the world
The University of Manchester is ranked 27th in the world (QS World University Ranking 2020) while Alliance Manchester Business School’s Accounting and Finance Studies is ranked 21st globally (QS World Rankings 2020).
- Cutting Edge Research
Experience the University's one-of-a-kind Data Visualisation Observatory
The University of Manchester is an international powerhouse for Financial Technology (FinTech) research, teaching and innovation. The first of its kind in the UK, its Data Visualisation Observatory offers interactive 3D visualisation of data to visualising monetary flows and stock market behaviours in Fintech.
- Alumni & Networking
Connecting you to a powerful global network of business contacts
Join the ranks of our senior management and C-Suites working in top financial institutions across the globe. When you join our MSc Financial Management programme, you become part of an extensive network of the 90,000 AMBS alumni across 190 countries worldwide.
The course will equip you with:
- A deep understanding of the tasks that financial managers and other similar finance practitioners undertake and the objectives they pursue;
- The ability to describe and interpret the functioning of financial markets;
- An understanding of why and how successful companies rely on and benefit from well-functioning financial markets;
- The skills and knowledge to analyse and synthesise complex information from corporations and financial markets, and offer solutions to challenging problems;
- The capability to search and gather relevant financial information from several sources such as companies’ annual reports and financial databases;
- Flexible and relevant transferable skills that finance practitioners require in their career.
Each unit consists of 15 credits (excluding the final project) and requires a total of 150 hours of study per unit.
There are no exams within the MSc. Summative assessment comprises individual and group coursework, with two assessments per unit. We will provide online quizzes and activities through each unit as methods of formative assessments.
The final project will consist of a group project.
Units 1 - 4
FOUNDATIONS OF ACCOUNTING
- Introduction to accounting
- Accounting conventions and techniques to support organisational decision-making
- Foundations and principles of management and financial accounting
FOUNDATIONS OF FINANCE
- Introduction to finance
- Time value of money and asset valuation
- Cost of capital and capital budgeting techniques
- Introduction to corporate finance
- Cost of capital estimation and advanced capital budgeting techniques
- The choice between equity capital and debt capital
GLOBAL FINANCIAL MARKETS AND INSTITUTIONS
- Overview of the global financial system
- Banking and financial regulation, investment banking and private equity
- Risk management and hedging strategies
Units 5 - 8
DATA ANALYSIS AND STATISTICAL TECHNIQUES
- Basic econometric tools to estimate relationships between variables
- Formulation of empirical hypotheses to be tested
- Interpretation of results from statistical and econometric outputs
FINANCIAL STATEMENT ANALYSIS
- Strengths, limitations and developments in contemporary financial reporting
- Interpretation and assessment of firm performance
- Credit and debt analysis to predict the likelihood of financial distress
INTERNATIONAL FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT
- Principles underlying financial decision-making by multinational corporations
- Foreign direct investment decisions, exchange risk and hedging techniques
- Political risk measurement and management
QUANTITATIVE METHODS FOR FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT
- Sophisticated statistical tools for finance practitioners
- Analysis and forecasts of time series data
- Empirical interactions between stock returns, exchange rates and other variables
Live business project
VENTURE CAPITAL AND PRIVATE EQUITY
- Introduction to venture capital and private equity
- Fund raising activities by private equity investors
- Identification of capital investment opportunities and capital allocation, and management of investments to maximise returns
BUSINESS MODELS AND FINANCIAL STRATEGY
- Evaluation of alternative business models to create and capture value
- Short- and long-term financial decisions over the lifecycle of the firm
- Fintech and other innovative sources of finance
- Identification of topic to study and formulation of plan to collect information and data on the topic
- Selection of suitable methods and analysis of information
- Dissemination of the results of the study
Enjoy flexible exit points that are aligned with your career development
When life changes, your studies should be flexible enough to change with you. You will be able to graduate with a postgraduate qualification if you’ve met the following requirements:
Candidature up to 1 year.
To graduate, students must complete 60 credits (4 units) to be awarded with a Postgraduate Certificate.
This programme allows you to build on your study to achieve the right level of qualification for you. Students can return to stack towards a higher qualification at a later time.
You’ll benefit from the flexibility of an online course, complemented by valuable face-to-face learning through our six-day workshops held in Singapore and Hong Kong.
Our workshops give you an excellent opportunity to develop your global professional network, discuss experiences with colleagues working across the world in diverse professional environments, and meet the academic team, who will be on hand to discuss the course and answer any questions you might have.
Enjoy time out from day-to-day working life to spend time with your classmates, working in groups to apply theory to practice through real-life case studies based on contemporary business problems.
Please note that if travel restrictions are in place the workshops will be delivered virtually.
Culture of Teaching Excellence
Recognised as one of Europe’s most experienced Accounting and Finance teams, our academics are global thought leaders and exceptional teachers who are committed to your professional development. Our faculty members have published papers in leading scholarly journals, received recognition for teaching & research excellence, acted as consultants to large corporations, and served as inspirational teachers and mentors.
Meet Some of Our Full-Time Faculty @ AMBS
Dr Amedeo De Cesari
Course Director, MSc Financial Management
Professor Arif Khurshed
Professor of Finance, AMBS
Dr Julian Jones
Senior Lecturer in Management Accounting, AMBS
Dr Paul Simpson
Senior Lecturer, MIE
Ms Patricia Perlman
Senior Lecturer in Finance, AMBS
Professor Brahim Saadouni
Professor of Accounting & Finance, AMBS
Your future career prospects & pathways
Our MSc Financial Management programme is designed to prepare you for a successful career in the world of finance, wherever in the world you plan to work. This course will enable you to develop the professional financial and management skills alongside the expertise required to make you a valuable asset in your work from day one of your career.
This MSc Financial Management programme primes you for a myriad of roles. Learn how to become highly relevant whether you aim to work within the finance function of large organisations or aspire to work in smaller businesses where the ability to control finances is essential, or even if you would like to carve out a career in public sector organisations.
Graduates from this Master’s degree may find employment in prominent industries such as Banking, Finance, Capital Markets, Asset/Wealth Management, Venture Capital & Private Equity or Consulting.
Our AMBS graduates (MSc Finance, MSc Accounting and Finance) have gone on to secure lucrative job roles in their career journeys, with some of the most relevant opportunities to this Master’s degree including, but not limited to, careers such as:
- Bank Managers
- Business Development Specialists
- Business Transformation Consultants
- Corporate Tax Associates
- Data Analysts
- Finance and Accounting Managers
- Financial Analysts
- Financial Reporting Officers
- Investment Bank Analysts
- Risk Analysts
- Trading Accountants Managers
Our AMBS graduates have gone on to work in various different organisations and sectors including:
Whether you are looking to reach new heights in your existing industry or change direction completely, you will graduate from MSc Financial Management with the skills, experience and confidence you need.
Speak to us for more information on our MSc Financial Management programme
We would like to reassure you that your safety and wellbeing are our main priority, as well as ensuring that we deliver outstanding teaching, learning and student experiences. We want to reassure you that we’re doing everything we can to enable every student to fully participate and engage in their studies, regardless of your personal or family circumstances and the changing course of the pandemic. We’re hard at work behind the scenes developing excellent, creative and interactive teaching for the start of the year.
We have moved our induction activities and welcome events online, so that students who are unable or unwilling to attend at the Centre, may still be able to participate, with Q&A events at the end of each session as well as separate drop-in events especially to address any queries new students may have. The positive feedback from the sessions has led to the introduction of drop-in Q&A sessions to be made available to all Global MBA students, and these drop-in sessions will be conducted twice weekly on Monday and Friday, with members of the Global MBA Support Team present to address relevant queries.
As previously communicated and as many other universities have also now confirmed, workshops will be delivered online in September, and potentially for the entire semester. Nevertheless, in adherence with governmental guidelines and regulations, we will be offering the opportunity for students to attend Virtual Workshops at the Centre. Students will be able to enjoy in-person social connectivity with their peers while working in groups. To make sure we don’t exclude any of you, this hybrid-flexible, mixed-mode teaching approach combining both in-person and online face to face teaching and learning activities, allows you to choose whether or not to attend in-person activities with no ‘learning deficit’.
We are committed to improving and extending our mixed-mode learning provision and are continuing to support our brilliant teaching staff in re-designing teaching material for 2020/21, working with our Institute for Teaching and Learning and through the sharing of best practice on our Teaching and Learning Online Network. We are also currently recruiting additional e-learning and learning technology team members, to provide our colleagues with the very best support and online learning expertise. We ask for your patience and understanding that courses may have minor structural changes, and we hope you understand that any revisions we make are so as to further enhance and improve your learning experience with us.
We are very much looking forward to the new academic year and a return to a slightly different, but very safe and welcoming environment at the Manchester Worldwide S.E. Asia Centre.
From all of us at the Manchester Worldwide S.E. Asia Centre, we hope you stay safe and well. We are, as always, here to support you the best that we can through this extraordinary global situation.